Baby oil for guitar strings!

Home Ear Training Forums Tips, Tricks and Resources Tips and Tricks Baby oil for guitar strings!

This topic contains 10 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of quintusvw quintusvw 9 years ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of larsguitar
    larsguitar
    Participant

A little buit of a tip for string longevity on electric guitars. Put a bit of baby oil on a cloth and swipe it over the strings. They will not rust!

Profile photo of puncatrator
    puncatrator
    Participant

is that true?!?? do they still sound good??

Profile photo of kristin_r
    kristin_r
    Participant

Wow! Nobody has ever told me that before! I haven’t had any rust so far though fortunately. The strings usually wind up snapping once in a while and get replaced so that’s probably why. Interesting tip!

Profile photo of britanica
    britanica
    Participant

I actually heard this same thing from using coconut oil. The coconut contains natural anti-bacterial stuff in it which protects it from rust. I am not sure how true this is because I read it online but I’d imagine you can find more info to back it up or find it false. I use coconut oil for everything. I love the stuff.

Profile photo of chaulky
    chaulky
    Participant

Nice, im going to try this with my electric guitar. With my acoustic guitar a friend of mine said to use WD40 after wiping the strings so that they look new!

Profile photo of britanica
    britanica
    Participant

I did a google search on WD40 and wow, it keeps pretty much anything from rusting. I’d imagine this is the best thing to use on strings.

Profile photo of quintusvw
    quintusvw
    Participant

Baby oil…any oil…I have never heard of that. I do know that wiping your strings with a dry cloth also helps keeping the rust a bay (some manual’s suggestion).

I’m just wondering, would it not make your fingers oily?

I agree with kristin_r, I replace my strings every now and again, so my experience with rust is limited.

Profile photo of zeitaliesin
    zeitaliesin
    Participant

I would never use these kinds of oils on a guitar! Would use put wd40 on a piece of furniture! Plus they make string cleaner. I actually prefer Elixir strings for acoustic, they never rust.

quintusvw
    Participant

The closest I’ll get to having oil on my guitar is when giving my rosewood fretboard some oil :). But then it will be because I’ll be forced to maintain my guitar.

Profile photo of zeitaliesin
    zeitaliesin
    Participant

Even that you have to be careful. Lemoil is good I hear, or linseed, but not for long. I just have my luthier do it cause I love my guitars

quintusvw
    Participant

That’s nice. I would not have minded my luthier to maintain my guitars, only he would make me bankrupt. Charged me a truckload of cash to rewire my guitar…so I did it myself :)

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share This!