Christmas music is really great ear training

Home Ear Training Forums Chat Christmas music is really great ear training

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of alexx alexx 9 years ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of zeitaliesin
    zeitaliesin
    Participant

All this music surrounding us now is so caught up in the Major Scale, sometimes minor, and is a gold chest of ear training in simplicity. What do u think?

Profile photo of alexx
    alexx
    Participant

@zeitaliesin I definitely agree. I was fooling around last night figuring some songs out.

I think Christmas Carols are one of the best ways to practice playing by ear. Most of us know so many of them inside-out, it’s easy to sit with your instrument and just try to figure them out.

With less familiar music you have the additional task of remembering and audiating, but with music as well-known as Christmas carols (or Christmas songs, or folk songs generally) you can move straight to replicating it on your instrument.

Profile photo of caylalayman
    caylalayman
    Participant

Seems like it might also be a good vessel to ease into transcription as well.

Profile photo of spark
    spark
    Participant

In fact, Christmas is the time of year when even the seemingly least musical will give their larynx a dusting off and start belting out these well known tunes.

Profile photo of alexx
    alexx
    Participant

@spark So true, but I wonder if it’s all the egg nog?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share This!