get going, but how ?

Tagged: 

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of stebautista stebautista 9 years ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of tartarine
    tartarine
    Participant

Hello every body

At the moment i feel very confused. I have being playing the violin for many years and i am familliar with notation, notes, rythm, keys i am very bad with chords progressions and i can just about recognise the intervalls thirds forth and fifth octaves. At least i can play them without trouble I find difficult to name inverted chords to know the modes or stuff like that would you have recommendations for me? I feel i am starting every thing at the same time but don’t have a direction or a system.
    I found many apps , tenuto, csc, music better ears, relative PitchLite, good ear’s chords and intervals, Theory, Interval trainer, scales n triads, read rhythm some good somme not quite so
    I found the crash course interesting but I felt they are so many possible directions given in one mail that I don’t really know how to handle them.
    Any special way to put some order in this ?
    I thought I’ll do a quick check on what I know ( but don’t know how I can find a test to do it) , then I thought I could use the Association boards exams but quite expensive if you want to be systematic
    so anybody has any system, ideas ? Thanks in advance
    tartarine

Tatrarine

Hi @tartarine,

Thanks for your question! This is something that many people struggle with.

I’d summarise your challenge as “there are lots of topics, and I have lots of resources – but I’m not sure how to use them all”. That’s totally normal.

Some ear training providers will try to sell you their “one perfect solution” – while this is tempting in terms of simplicity, the problem is that there is no one course which will work for everybody.

Here at EET we instead recommend the following process which should help you past this frustrating confusion:

1. Get clear on your goals. These need to be specific, measurable, inspiring goals – in fact, they need to be MAGIC.
    2. Plan your training. This includes deciding which resources will support you in the journey to those goals, how and when you will use them, and what the concrete steps will be along the way. We have some topic-specific guides to help with this, but that will depend which topics your goals require.
    3. Do the training. Keep checking and adjusting and getting help as you go. Even the clearest goals and best-laid plans can leave you struggling at times. These forums are a great place to ask whenever you need help.

Our Ear Training Essentials book goes into more detail on all of this and includes a handy planning worksheet you can use.

With this 3-step process in mind, hopefully it will now be clear to you which part you are actually struggling with. From what you’ve said I think maybe you’ve jumped to step 3 without fully working through steps 1 and 2, and that has (understandably!) caused a slight overwhelm. If you go back and work through steps 1 and 2 I think you’ll find step 3 far easier and more rewarding.

Profile photo of stebautista
    stebautista
    Participant

Hi @tartarine,

Since I am new here, I could not say anything technical yet about the course but I can help you with getting overwhelmed by the information available. One thing though, you can actually acquire those by starting bits by bits. But before you you do that, make sure you know where you’re going. In what particular area are you struggling and need help? It helps when you take time to take some notes and make a list with your strong and weak suits. Afterwards, prioritise your list–especially with your weak points. Which one would you like to learn first?
    From there you can create a learning process in which I’m sure Easy Ear Training has in stored for you.

Hope it helps!

Stay awesome!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share This!