How difficult is it to learn to play the violin by ear?

Home Ear Training Forums Ear Training Instruments How difficult is it to learn to play the violin by ear?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of britanica britanica 9 years ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of britanica
    britanica
    Participant

I am curious if anyone on here ever has. I read it can be quite difficult but the best players learned by ear. I am not looking to master the violin but just be able to play it without making people wish they were deaf. lol

I have never even attempted trying to play it but want to buy a cheap one and go for it. If I fail, I will just hang the beautiful thing on my wall.

Profile photo of chaulky
    chaulky
    Participant

I’m only new to learning to playing by ear but the most advice i seem to find from articles is that once you start you need to have patience. I guess thats a simple recipe for most things you want to master and learn.

britanica
    Participant

Yeah I have read that too. I watched quite a few videos on youtube. It seems the most difficult thing people run into with the violin is holding the bow properly. Some people say hold it one way, others say hold it another. I guess until I have one in my hands I want know. There is not hurt in trying though haha

Profile photo of v3jimenez
    v3jimenez
    Participant

hi britanica! i learned how to play the piano by ear but it was really tough for me to make the bow play notes on the violin.

if you can learn how to make the violin sound, then you can be easily taught how to play it by ear :)

Music is Freedom

britanica
    Participant

hi britanica! i learned how to play the piano by ear but it was really tough for me to make the bow play notes on the violin.

if you can learn how to make the violin sound, then you can be easily taught how to play it by ear :)

I struggle with understanding how to get the right tune but I can understand what you mean. I think once I get the sound down, I should be able to mimic what I hear just by repetition and trial and error.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share This!