how to decide the breathing points while singing?

Home Ear Training Forums Ear Training Singing how to decide the breathing points while singing?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of stebautista stebautista 9 years ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of mezzo
    mezzo
    Participant

While singing from a music sheet, how do you decide the places where you are going to take a breath? Are there any general rules or guidelines?

Profile photo of quintusvw
    quintusvw
    Participant

Profile photo of quintusvw
    quintusvw
    Participant

Sorry, I just could not resist. I felt it adressed my view rather perfectly. :)

Profile photo of mezzo
    mezzo
    Participant

Ha ha! :)

Well to clarify, my voice teacher last semester kept telling us not to take a breath at a certain place in the piece. She said, if you need to, then take a breath right before the bar begins.

I keep wondering how do you decide that? I mean, it is obvious that you can take a breath when there is a rest in a bar but what about when there isn’t. I hope some voice student/teacher can throw some light on this.

Profile photo of stebautista
    stebautista
    Participant

@mezzo

I have that issue wayback in music school as well. But, my teacher really taught us breathing techniques. We jog every morning uphill while singing ;) My teacher was also very keen about proper breathing, she would notice whenever we did it wrong. (When you breathe your shoulder should not move, that’s what she always say) It’s all about the diaphragm. We also do breathing exercise before singing. After weeks of practice, I noticed I can breathe effortlessly without being too obvious or breaking the notes.

Let me know if that helps! ;)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share This!