How to Write a Song Video

Home Ear Training Forums Ear Training Song Writing How to Write a Song Video

This topic contains 9 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of bsamples bsamples 1 year ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of dayzd

For anyone trying to start writing songs here is a really good video (I didn’t make it!)

<iframe width=”560″ height=”315″ src=”//″ frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen></iframe>

She says song writing is:

1 Concept
    2 Chords and Riffs
    3 Vocal Melody
    4 Lyrics
    5 Structure
    6 Tempo, Key
    7 Arrangement

Personally I figure out the structure before the chords, melody and lyrics because I

In the video she says arrangement is the most important part of a song. I disagree with that! But it is the step where I like to experiment the most (you can imagine so many different versions of the same song!)

Anyway if you are starting song writing I hope you’ll enjoy this video

Nice video, Daisy! Thanks for sharing.

Why do you figure out the structure first?

Profile photo of puncatrator

good video…. thanks @dayzd!

so there are 7 parts to song writing huh? I think I score about 3!! I can come up with chords and I can write pretty good lyrics…. just need that missing piece melody lol!

Profile photo of britanica

I never attempted to write an entire song but I have written lyrics based on a melody I had in my head. That may sound strange, but I will listen to a song that has lyrics, take the melody in my head, and combine it with other songs to make it sound how I want. I will then write out lyrics for this melody. Either I am insane or strangely intelligent. I will hope for the latter. lol

Profile photo of kristin_r

Good video! It’s been a long time since I have written a song of my own! I work with lots of indie musicians and others who may want to learn about this. A lot of these people are a part of my online radio station and social networking website. I think this would be a good video for my website so I am going to post it over there also. Thanks for sharing!

Profile photo of chaulky

I haven’t tried to write my own song before but i always thought that coming up with lyrics would be the first step. Maybe it is time to get creative.

Profile photo of dayzd

I’m really really glad everyone enjoyed the video!! I just watched it again and got some fresh inspiration too :)

Profile photo of sarahpopejoy

Here’s a Video I Made on How to Write a Song… Maybe bring some extra insight to the great video that dayzd shared above! :)

Get Your Free eBook Here at
    "High Level Music Marketing Strategies for a Low Budget"

Profile photo of dayzd

Really good video @sarahpopejoy! I think I am a bit more advanced now (not much lol!) but it is good to remember the foundations of song-writing

I thought it was interesting that you say write the lyrics first. I normally decide the structure and then do the lyrics

I liked your idea that the melody is based on the chords of the song, picking notes out from those chords. Sometimes I feel a bit lost with all the notes of the key (and even accidentals) not knowing which notes to put in my melody. I think this will really help

I’m still figuring out how the Circle of Fifths work but I think I get the “one four five” idea. It seems like there’s lots more that the Circle can tell you though?

It’s a great suggestion too to go online and get the chords for a song you like and figure out how the chords come from the key. This definitely taught me a lot!!

P.S. the video broke at 7:30 until 8:00 is that just me?

Profile photo of bsamples

@dayzd and @sarahpopejoy: Those are both really good videos. I wish I was better at song writing. I feel like I’m better at harmonies, melodies, and mixing, but I am terrible with lyrics!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share This!