How to Write Great Song Lyrics

Home Ear Training Forums Tips, Tricks and Resources Tips and Tricks How to Write Great Song Lyrics

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of alexx alexx 9 years ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of sarahpopejoy
    sarahpopejoy
    Participant

`
    Above is a Video on How to Write Great Lyrics

7 Steps to Writing Great Lyrics
    1. Senses – Use all 5 Senses
    2. Slant Rhymes – rhyme in which either the vowels or the consonants of stressed syllables are identicle.
    3. Oxymoron – example: before and after, empty and full
    4. Alliteration – the repetition of identicle consonant sounds in 2 or more neighboring words or syllables
    5. Repetition
    6. Format of the Song – Spice it up
    7. Descriptive Color

Add to the conversation. What do you think makes great song lyrics and did this help you?

Get Your Free eBook Here at MusiciansEmpowered.com
    "High Level Music Marketing Strategies for a Low Budget"
    http://ebook.musiciansempowered.com

Profile photo of sarahpopejoy
    sarahpopejoy
    Participant

Here’s the Video

Get Your Free eBook Here at MusiciansEmpowered.com
    "High Level Music Marketing Strategies for a Low Budget"
    http://ebook.musiciansempowered.com

Profile photo of dayzd
    dayzd
    Participant

I always alliterate alot (lol!) and sometimes I use oxymorons but I never knew it was called that when you use opposites!

I had never heard of slant rhymes before. In fact I thought it was “wrong” to use words that don’t quite rhyme but now I know it’s an actual technique!

I’m really really excited to go use these rules, I started thinking of ways to improve my songs with them right away. Thanks!!

P.S. What do I think makes great song lyrics? I don’t know what makes it work, but some songs words just stick in your head for days and weeks afterwards. Now that I think about it, it’s often because of imagery. When a song creates an image in your mind with its words and a feeling with its sounds and then that picture stays with you

I want my songs to be like that!

Profile photo of larsguitar
    larsguitar
    Participant

Actually I think the best lyrics always come from moments that are highly emotional.

Profile photo of alexx
    alexx
    Participant

@larsguitar I totally agree I was just talking about this concept with someone yesterday

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share This!