Hum or sing?

This topic contains 10 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of quintusvw quintusvw 9 years ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of quintusvw
    quintusvw
    Participant

Do you hum or sing when practising intervals? I usually hum…and every know and again I’d do the whole Do-Re-Mi-…thing.

Humming works for me but when I try to do it with my phones in my ears it buzzes.

• This topic was modified 9 years ago by Profile photo of caylalayman caylalayman.
    Profile photo of zeitaliesin
    zeitaliesin
    Participant

I tend to hum or sing to myself, in extreme situations I’ll sing them

quintusvw
    Participant

@zeitaliesin Do you sing in general? I don’t have a singing voice, so its no good.

Profile photo of alexx
    alexx
    Participant

I don’t know if I’d call it singing, but it’s my full voice, not a hum. I revert to the Do Re Mi a lot too. I think because I don’t have any voice training & I don’t sing, so it’s hard for me to use my voice in small increments. but the Do Re Mi think makes sense to me & it helps.

quintusvw
    Participant

I agree, the Do-Re-Me works, but it is only for whole notes (or shall I say for the major scale).

So no semitones or such…

Profile photo of caylalayman
    caylalayman
    Participant

I usually sing, especially with solfege. It’s really interesting to see how others choose to practice.

quintusvw
    Participant

@caylalayman I assume then that you are a singer as well?

Can ear training help some like me sing more on the right note? :)

Profile photo of caylalayman
    caylalayman
    Participant

I assume then that you are a singer as well?

Can ear training help some like me sing more on the right note? :)

Yes! I dabble a little bit in piano and sang in the state choir when I was younger. Admittedly, I was pretty rusty. Ear training has really helped me go from just singing in the car to actually sounding like something again.

quintusvw
    Participant

You know what I realized, even when I’m not practising on my guitar but doing ear training there is improvement in my playing guitar. I told Christopher that I could actually pick a hymn from anywhere after doing just a little ear training.

So ear training is really a must if a person wants to have that extra mastering of music.

quintusvw
    Participant

I just stumbled across this…very interesting. I think this could also be a good way to practice.

http://www.uwgb.edu/acda/new%20website/choral%20handbook/solfegeguide.jpg

quintusvw
    Participant

Or how about this one…adds some indication of the modes.

http://guitarsongwriting.com/ear_training/syllable_scales.gif

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share This!