Identify seventh chords

Home Ear Training Forums Ear Training Relative Pitch Identify seventh chords

Tagged: 

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of christopher-sutton christopher-sutton 10 years ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of orangov
    orangov
    Participant

Help! How can you identify seventh chords? I mean like dom7 min7 maj7 etc

I can hear when a chord is a 7th but some times its actually a sus or a dom chord. I want to identify them so I can play jazz style.

Hi Ran,

Normally we recommend getting solid on intervals and triad chords first. How are you on those?

Profile photo of orangov
    orangov
    Participant

Triads I can do major minor but I know there are other ones too. Intervals Im alright with. In class sometimes i’ll get confused when my teacher tests us. I can get more than 50/50 on intervals.

Great! It sounds like you’ve made a good start with intervals and triads, so I would recommend:

1. Firm up this foundation. Keep practising major and minor triad chords. Keep working on your interval recognition.

Resources:

2. Start working on seventh chords. Introduce one type at a time. Start by practising with the dominant seventh vs. major triad chords. Then introduce minor sevenths and major sevenths. Use your triad and interval recognition skills (particularly major 7ths vs minor 7ths) to help you pick apart the chords by ear.

Resources:

Does that help?

Profile photo of orangov
    orangov
    Participant

Wow that is a lot! Thanks I willread those!

Excellent! Do let me know if you have any further questions :)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share This!