Is a note the same on every instrument?

Home Ear Training Forums Ear Training Is a note the same on every instrument?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of quintusvw quintusvw 9 years ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of dayzd
    dayzd
    Participant

Okay this may sound like a really stupid question!

But is a note the same on every instrument? Like if I play an A on my piano is that the same as an A on the guitar?

I think it must be, but someone told me that in orchestras the different instruments have to tune up to different notes to sound the same.

I’m asking because I want to start using computer software to write songs. Will I need to put each instrument in a different key to make them sound good?

Profile photo of horn8287
    horn8287
    Participant

Hi there,

This is not a stupid question! For someone who plays a concert pitch instrument, the idea of transposing instruments is very confusing.

Basically, all “C” instruments like guitar, piano, strings, flute, oboe, etc. will sound the same pitch when they play A=440.

There are a few different transposing instrument families:

Bb instruments include clarinet and trumpet.

Eb instruments include Alto Saxophone and Eb Clarinet (the smaller one).

F instruments include the French horn and English horn.

When you play C on the Bb trumpet, it sounds the same as a Bb on the piano. When you play C on an Eb saxophone, it’s the same pitch as Eb on the piano. Etc, etc.

I hope this is helpful!

Profile photo of trentvon
    trentvon
    Participant

I think the notes are the same in all instruments, just different names given to them due to tunnings.

Profile photo of britanica
    britanica
    Participant

Thanks for that horn! I had no idea. I was clicking on this hoping someone would explain it for me as I was wondering the same thing. I never though it was so simple. haha

Profile photo of quintusvw
    quintusvw
    Participant

I think Horn put it quite clear there. Another thing (things?) to remember is (are?) the following 3 points: Intervals – Timbre – Texture.

These three concepts of music makes for what we come to enjoy about music. They tell the story that music keeps locked up inside itself. I hope this makes sense.

:)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share This!