Live vs. Recorded music

Home Ear Training Forums Ear Training Live vs. Recorded music

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of quintusvw quintusvw 9 years ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of spark
    spark
    Participant

I’d like to encourage some discussion around this topic as I believe many of us are getting short changed on our listening experiences. Modern digital formats like MP3 and youtube played through phones, laptops etc. may be very convenient but give a poor listening experience in my opinion. Desire it’s limitations I can now agree with those who stayed with vinyl. Having said that, even vinyl is second best to actually being there Being at a live performance of any type or genre beats recorded any day. You become part of the performance, you can study all the sounds created, you can visually study the sax players posture and embouchure for example or study the guitarists technique. Also a live band will interact with the crowd, and feed off it. I wish I got out more!!

Profile photo of alexx
    alexx
    Participant

Sure, live shows are great. I just saw Billy Joel a few months ago. It was incredible. An outdoor show at Fenway Park, Gavin DeGraw opened. Also recently saw B.B. King. I’ve heard that vinyl is the best medium, & I do have a lot of albums from when I was younger, but records aren’t portable. Before it was just records or radio. Now, with all the different mediums, you can have your favorite music wherever you are. I think that’s great, & when you’re in the mood to sit in & just listen to your collection, you can do that too!

Profile photo of caylalayman
    caylalayman
    Participant

@spark, I agree! I think recorded music has it’s place, obviously, but it’s great to watch shows live. My fiance plays in a band in Memphis and they open for a lot of great acts. He also used to play blues music on Beale St., and there’s just nothing like that scene.

Profile photo of alexx
    alexx
    Participant

I was in Tennessee Sept. 2013. LOVED it! Went to Nashville & Memphis. I even got to play the piano in historic Studio B. A 1940’s Steinway that Elvis & Jerry Lee Lewis, among others, have played. They still use the studio. U2’s Rattle & Hum was recorded there. Beale St. is great. There was a music festival in the park when we were there.

Profile photo of quintusvw
    quintusvw
    Participant

I think it all depends on the objective as well as the preference (preference is something we can or cannot understand :D). Some people like the vibe of the live arena, the air, the atmosphere. Some prefer the setting of the studio. The perfection (the strive for it) that comes with the elements of the studio.

I would say (correct me if I’m wrong) but listening to studio music through phones allows me to hear more tonalities than listening to the live music (especially loud performances). This is when I try to hear the bass notes or the string ensemble or such. The live performance might allow for the physical enhancements that allows for a more wholesome experience than a studio might provide.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share This!