Mainstream Sounding Older?

Home Ear Training Forums Chat Mainstream Sounding Older?

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of britanica britanica 9 years ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of britanica
    britanica
    Participant

Is it just me or is mainstream music starting to sound like music from the 80’s again? The only difference is a lot more going on in the back noise.

Profile photo of snake
    snake
    Participant

Trying to recapture the golden years and not doing a very good job. Everything is too electronic and modified these days.
    I admire those who actually play an instrument and sing without any autotune.

britanica
    Participant

I agree. Music seems too electronic anymore. It truly takes away from the actual skill and art of what music is made of.

Profile photo of dayzd
    dayzd
    Participant

All the modern electronic dance music really sounds like a mess to me. It’s like SSSHHHHHHH!

Give me a singer with just a piano or guitar any day!

I try to keep an open mind though because I think if you want to make it in music you need to be aware of the current trends. I listen to whatever’s on the radio and even if I don’t like it I try to pick out parts of it that I find interesting to use in my own songs.

britanica
    Participant

I agree with you dayzd like it seems almost as if they are trying too hard and it just sounds like a giant rave. I am all for dance music but it has to be leveled and the vocals can’t be so tuned.

Profile photo of pomeroy
    pomeroy
    Participant

Trent Reznor (of Nine Inch Nails) and Atticus Ross use a lot of synthesized music, but it is in a very artful and thoughtful way…much different than electronic dance music. They’ve done the soundtracks for Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, The Social Network, and Gone Girl.
    Here’s a link to some of the music from Gone Girl:

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

britanica
    Participant

I love Trent. He is from where I grew up. His music sounds like no one else’s and that is why I enjoy it so much. Today’s stuff, like mainstream, top chart stuff all sounds the same.

Profile photo of caylalayman
    caylalayman
    Participant

Electronics and auto-tuned singing is even making it’s way into my favorite genre, country. I much prefer the organic sounds of voices and instruments.

Although, I must admit, Katy Perry is a guilty pleasure of mine. I love her music and attitude. She was the Game Day guest at Ole Miss a couple of weekends ago and I was there. She is truly a character.

britanica
    Participant

Electronics and auto-tuned singing is even making it’s way into my favorite genre, country. I much prefer the organic sounds of voices and instruments.

Although, I must admit, Katy Perry is a guilty pleasure of mine. I love her music and attitude. She was the Game Day guest at Ole Miss a couple of weekends ago and I was there. She is truly a character.

I was just talking about her with a friend. She is one of the worst when it comes to auto-tuning. Without the help, her voice and talent is average to below average. You don’t even know who really has talent or a voice anymore. Seems like anyone and everyone who acts ends up singing. I love Alicia Keys and women like her who are bold, no auto-tuning, and amazing piano skills.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share This!