Modes

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of quintusvw quintusvw 9 years ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of quintusvw
    quintusvw
    Participant

Does anybody here use them actively in their music? I once spoke to a musician about them and he did not seem to keen about the formality that they are attached to…

Modes can be intimidating if you focus too much on the theory…

For me, solfa offered a neat way in to understanding modes more instinctively – once you start to feel familiar with each degree of the major scale, it’s actually fun and natural to start playing around with what the scale sounds like if you start it from a different note.

quintusvw
    Participant

I see, basically I must first hear what each scale is telling then experience the effect that the modes have on them?

I see, basically I must first hear what each scale is telling then experience the effect that the modes have on them?

Personally, I think that’s a good way to approach them.

But it’s not so much that you need to interpret the mode relative to the base scale. It’s more that having the instinctive “feel” of the base scale using solfa gives you the structure and framework to explore the modes in an enjoyable way.

Without that, I found that it was just a bunch of arbitrary different scales and I found it hard to identify a character or meaning for any of them (apart from the base major, Aeolian and to some extent the Dorian).

quintusvw
    Participant

I get it. So it is actually to know why they exist…the modes that is. What makes them be what they are. How they create their unique sounds.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share This!