Music, colors, and emotion

Home Ear Training Forums Ear Training Music, colors, and emotion

This topic contains 16 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of quintusvw quintusvw 9 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of quintusvw
    quintusvw
    Participant

I like to think of music as showing color and emotion…very much like art. How do you experience music?

I guess this is a rather open ended question, but giving your view on the smallest (tones, intervals,etc) to more complex things (ensembles, progressiosn, etc.) would be interesting.

Profile photo of alexx
    alexx
    Participant

Music definitely exudes emotion. I think that’s the whole point of it. It conveys a feeling the composer has & also is capable of invoking it in listeners.

I know when I play, I major goal of mine is to play each with feeling, rather than just going through the motion of playing notes.

I tend to gravitate to minor sounds a lot, & a lot of VI chords used in progressions.

quintusvw
    Participant

Speaking of which…I once sat behind a keyboard and just played what I felt…with out really knowing anything about playing the instrument.

Using the minor is such an incredible power…especially with a four chord progression. It can play the strings of your heart :).

Profile photo of alexx
    alexx
    Participant

@quintusvw Most definitely. I love the feeling & the sound from that.

quintusvw
    Participant

Now tell me; do you use this emotion and color to determine (basically like using an analogy) a piece of music?

Profile photo of alexx
    alexx
    Participant

@quintusvw I don’t understand what you mean. I gravitate toward songs with that type of sound & feel, I guess. And I like to use them as passing tones, & in improv.

Profile photo of zeitaliesin
    zeitaliesin
    Participant

It’s interesting to note this, because emotion and feelings are everything to me, but there is also something else I think. Ere is an intellectual realm that can be opened as well that is pure imagination. If that involves emotion or not I don’t know.

quintusvw
    Participant

@alexx I’m sorry. What I was trying to get to is whether you see certain parts of music as a color or a certain interval as sad etc?

Profile photo of alexx
    alexx
    Participant

@quintusvw I think everyone sees intervals & certain chord progressions as ways to express a mood in music. They’re ways of getting the audience to follow along where you’re going, OR to get the audience where you want them to be. Especially if there are no vocals, it’s all you’ve got.

@zeitaliesin I’m not sure what ere is. Can’t find a definition for it.

quintusvw
    Participant

@allex You certainly are right with that. I’m trying to find a way to express how I see certain music components…in a more general way.

Is that making sense :)

Profile photo of caylalayman
    caylalayman
    Participant

Music definitely exudes emotion. I think that’s the whole point of it.

I wholeheartedly agree with this! I think *well written* music (with or without lyrics) should have basically the sole purpose of making you feel something emotionally.

Profile photo of mezzo
    mezzo
    Participant

@quintusvw I get the part about emotions and feelings riveting as per the music but what has intrigued me is when you said that you associate it with colours. I have heard some musician friends say that they associate each note with a specific colour. Do you visualise it the same way? Can one teach themselves to visualise music in colours or is it just something that some people have and others do not?

quintusvw
    Participant

@mezzo How delightful. Yes, music does have a bit more than just sound to me. Concerning the architecture of these paintings…I’m still trying to find a way to describe it.

Learning it…I have no idea.

Profile photo of alexx
    alexx
    Participant

@mezzo I’ve heard that too, mostly in regard to blind musicians though. Not sure that’s something that can be learned, it seems like it would be pretty innate.

quintusvw
    Participant

Not sure that’s something that can be learned, it seems like it would be pretty innate.

I hope this comes across in a humble way but could you please explain?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share This!