Scholarship

Home Ear Training Forums Chat Scholarship

This topic contains 10 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of alexx alexx 9 years ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of quintusvw
    quintusvw
    Participant

I found out today that I did not get a scholarship for my Masters degree for 2015 because I am building my own company. They are concerned that I might not be able to perform the duties of a teaching assistant that comes with the scholarship.

Anybody had this experience?

Profile photo of alexx
    alexx
    Participant

That’s too bad about your scholarship. Can you appeal the decision at all?

I found out today that I did not get a scholarship for my Masters degree for 2015 because I am building my own company. They are concerned that I might not be able to perform the duties of a teaching assistant that comes with the scholarship.

Anybody had this experience?

@quintusvw: I’m sorry to hear that – how frustrating. As if someone trying to start their own company needs someone to make life more difficult for them! Is there any chance to appeal their decision?

quintusvw
    Participant

Thanks for the kind words…I guess I can appeal (although it might not make a difference since it was a board of members from two different faculties). I’ll just have to re-plan the year ahead.

At least I am still approved to do my Masters degree, it will have to come out of my own pocket.

At least I am still approved to do my Masters degree, it will have to come out of my own pocket.

@quintusvw: In the entrepreneurial world they sometimes talk about “the baby effect” – that when you’re trying to start a business and then you have a baby, suddenly you hustle harder and have greater success because you have the added pressure to succeed so you can earn a living to support your family. Maybe that’s a positive way to look at the extra financial pressure from this decision? :)

(… then again, looking at your profile pic, maybe you’ve already got that going for you!)

quintusvw
    Participant

Excellent observation :).

Yes, that is true. Having pressure sure adds to performing beter, but then comes the other problem: balance.

I had to learn how to balance everything. I was close to a breakdown this year but now it is going beter.

Having pressure sure adds to performing beter, but then comes the other problem: balance.

An ongoing struggle… I recently found some useful suggestions in this podcast:

10 Tactics to Better Work-Life Balance (part one, part two)

quintusvw
    Participant

Thank you Christopher. I’ll be sure to take a look at those links.

I’m sure it will be useful to manage my curent situation.

Profile photo of alexx
    alexx
    Participant

@christopher-sutton I can’t wait to check out those podcasts! I’m sure there will be some helpful ideas in there I can use. I bookmarked them.

Profile photo of alexx
    alexx
    Participant

Balance is so important & so hard sometimes. We focus on something that’s important to us or that needs to be done & inevitably other pieces of the pie get shortchanged.

Profile photo of alexx
    alexx
    Participant

Someone once told me that the more things you have on your plate the more successful you are, because you only have a certain amount of time to he things done.

I don’t know about that. I want to get things done the right way the first time ‘cuz I don’t have time for do overs! Ha ha

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share This!