Self Discipline

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of quintusvw quintusvw 9 years ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of spark
    spark
    Participant

All of the great musicians which the world has seen, whether they played from the score, or were masters of improvisation, the ability to feel and play at a moments notice, they all had one thing in common- an iron personal self discipline. They didn’t have some of the brilliant tools we have to aid in their ear training, yet their commitment and focus on their own musical development was key.

I don’t have bags of time to spend on ear training, or music at all for that matter. Kids, work, home life etc. but the time I do spend I want to maximise the returns. Sometimes it feels like no progress is being made, but week on week there is a bigger picture to keep focus on!! The desire to improve and succeed is my driving force. Any thoughts on how to instil in oneself this kind of self discipline?

Profile photo of quintusvw
    quintusvw
    Participant

Mutual feelings. Dedication boils down to one thing – enjoyment. If you don’t enjoy it, it will only last so long. Make every moment enjoyable. Change your practice regime to be more of a relaxing time, in which you do what you want to do with your instrument. I’m not where I want to be, but I know how I’m going to get there.

I hope this gave you some insight into my way of doing things.

Profile photo of alexx
    alexx
    Participant

I agree with the enjoyment aspect, but I think it’s even more than that. I think it’s a real love for your instrument & the playing of it. Like everyone I don’t have a lot of free time, & I want to make what little time I have really count, but it’s not always like that.

All the dedication & disci[line can’t help on those days when you’re just off & nothing seems to be working out right, but it’s the love of it that keeps you going. Like my teacher says, music & fun & frustrating all at the same time.

I say play when you can, even when it’s not a good day, it is, because you’re there & you’re doing it & you’re learning from that experience. If you try to force the discipline aspect it may make you feel like it’s more of a chore, & then you may shy away from it.

quintusvw
    Participant

I second alexx’s comment. My dad told me that once: do something you enjoy, then it will last.

Profile photo of caylalayman
    caylalayman
    Participant

I second alexx’s comment. My dad told me that once: do something you enjoy, then it will last.

Great advice.

quintusvw
    Participant

@caylalayman True…it just took me so long to realize this. Go head first into something…fall flat on your face after a short while… try to get back up again…repeat.

While I just had to do what I love and it all worked out (not saying that I did not fail sometimes, just that I can continue to try because it comes naturally).

:)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share This!