Study Organization

Home Ear Training Forums Ear Training Planning and Practice Study Organization

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of stebautista stebautista 9 years ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of mrear
    mrear
    Participant

Hi all!
    I play guitar and it’s a lot of time that I wanted to go into Ear training,but after reading Chris book I still miss something I find foundamental for a pupil:
    How to organize the study.
    I Mean,(and i thank you for this) there’s a lot of resource but:

wich interval is better to start with…I suppose after tone and semitone,I have to look to major and minor thirds than 4th and 5th in order to build ear to go to basic chord progression like I-IV-V and then move on to…?

Ok i’ve written a starting point but how many time should I practice each exercise,is meaningful to do listen exercise to tone,semitone,major and minor thirds in the same 10 minutes daily routine?Or shoul I concentrate on one interval at a time?
    Do I have to always sing this intervals?

Hi @mrear,

Thanks for your question!

To know which intervals to practice, there is a suggested progression in our interval exercise MP3s. You can also read this FAQ about how to know when to move on with which intervals you are training.

Intervals are a good way to develop your relative pitch, but if your main goal is to play chord progressions by ear on guitar, you may not want to spend too long purely on intervals. I would actually recommend you start with this video tutorial series on playing guitar by ear. That will give you a good idea of what kinds of interval and chord skills you need to develop, and then you can come back and decide how to train them.

Regarding how much time to spend daily, there’s more information here, but yes, 10-15 minutes per day should be enough to see improvement over the course of a few weeks, particularly if you keep your training focused. That means that 10 minutes on interval recognition is better than 3 minutes on intervals, 3 on chords, 4 on rhythm, etc.!

Does that help?

Profile photo of stebautista
    stebautista
    Participant

Hi @mrear,

How are you getting with Ear Training lately?

Profile photo of mrear
    mrear
    Participant

thanks for the suggestion Chris, I’ve also take your advice of mixing different range intervals (e.g 3m with 7M) because I’m having little problems with 3m and 3M since the relative small distance of the interval.
    I’m practicing the same intervals as chords.Hopefully I’ll try to look at the videos they sound very interesting.
    thanks a lot
    ps
    by the way I’m also making a Spotify playlist with famous I-IV-V songs just to stay focused on that interval

Profile photo of stebautista
    stebautista
    Participant

Hi,
    I’d love to follow your Spotify playlist…I am also getting on with the I-IV-V interval and been training my ears patiently.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share This!