Unforgettable Lesson from my Piano Teacher

Home Ear Training Forums Tips, Tricks and Resources Tips and Tricks Unforgettable Lesson from my Piano Teacher

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of alexx alexx 9 years ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of jtabon
    jtabon
    Participant

I think the most important lesson I learned from my piano teacher was to “Practice Perfect”.

She meant to practice slowly to make sure I’m playing the right notes, then speed up until I get to the right tempo of my piece and got it perfectly.

Practice doesn’t make it perfect but a perfect practice does :)

Profile photo of caylalayman
    caylalayman
    Participant

@jtabon: Great advice! I was one of those unfortunate kids that could read music really well, but not always “hear” it. It’s hard to rely exclusively on reading notes on a piece of paper to play properly. Once my piano technique teacher taught me how to really listen more deeply to the notes, my whole piano playing experience changed. I still use sheet music as reference in case I get stuck, but I owe her for teaching me how to listen for note tone and pitch at such a young age.

Profile photo of britanica
    britanica
    Participant

I have heard of practice makes perfect but never practice perfect! Thanks for sharing. It makes a lot of sense to think this way. If we can learn to practice properly, we end up playing properly.

Profile photo of caylalayman
    caylalayman
    Participant

I have heard of practice makes perfect but never practice perfect!

I love that! I’d never heard it put that way.

Profile photo of alexx
    alexx
    Participant

I have heard that. I was told it doesn’t make sense to keep practicing if you’re practicing something incorrectly. It’s a much better use of time to practice, even if it’s less, but correct. Does make sense.

Profile photo of alexx
    alexx
    Participant

I would say the best lesson I’ve gotten is #1. Just try it. Whatever it is, just do it. There’s nothing to lose & everything to gain. She always says there are 2.) No wrongs in music, & 3.) There are no absolute rules. Everything can be broken.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share This!