Welcome! Say hi and introduce yourself :)

Home Ear Training Forums Chat Welcome! Say hi and introduce yourself :)

This topic contains 377 replies, has 171 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of tenabrown tenabrown 9 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 378 total)
  • Author

Welcome Jen (@jendowty)!

I think you’ll find there are lots of Easy Ear Training members in a similar boat, coming to ear training and the more improvisational side of music later in their education.

The great thing is that you’ve got the solid instrument skills, which means you’ll be able to immediately apply what you learn in ear training for playing by ear and improvising.

I’d probably recommend checking out our Learn To Play By Ear series and our Chord Progressions resources. Learning to vamp your own keyboard parts for a given chord progression in different styles will be a fast way to start improvising authentic-sounding accompaniments.

Good luck with this exciting new phase!

Hi, I’m Jen. I’ve played piano for over 20 years, organ for nearly 15, and have been working on guitar (acoustic & electric) for a few. Now, I am delving into the world of dance accompaniment (mostly ballet), and would like to equip myself to play a little more improvisational. Being classically trained in the piano, ear training and “winging it” were something I was not introduced to until later in my life when I began playing with other musicians who didn’t read music.

Profile photo of bignoisemusic
    bignoisemusic
    Participant

I play guitar in a country band in Memphis. I recently started singing harmony for the lead singer as his wife (who used to sing harmony) had a baby. I’m practicing with ear training in order to hone in my singing skills and feel confident on stage singing and playing guitar.

Welcome, @bignoisemusic!

Adding singing to your abilities as a guitarist is a great step forwards. I think you’ll find it really pays off for your overall musicianship. We recently published a few articles by Nick Long who started singing to complement his guitar playing – you might find some of his suggestions helpful!

Good to have you in the community :)

Profile photo of user749rs
    user749rs
    Participant

Hi everyone,

after some years of guitar I’m pretty fast now and can play some cool licks and songs, but i still struggle
    to play along to someone without note-sheets or to come up with a really great solo myself

i hope this course helps me out on this one

good luck & have fun training your ears everybody ;)

Profile photo of caylalayman
    caylalayman
    Participant

@user749rs: Welcome! What are some of your favorite songs to try on the guitar? You’ll find that ear training will really help you tune your guitar with your ear and help you stay in tune all around.

• This reply was modified 9 years ago by Profile photo of caylalayman caylalayman.
    Profile photo of clifford
    clifford
    Participant

Hi folks,I am Clifford.I used to play guitar up till about 2004.Now i,m 62 yr.old and everybody wants me to start playing again.I only have an ole cheap guitar to play on,but its a start.My goal is to learn perfect pitch,learn to sing much better and enjoy blessing others with my guitar,I also want to learn harmonica with guitar.I have other musical goals,but this is a good start.

Welcome @clifford! It’s wonderful that you’re taking up guitar again.

I never mastered playing harmonica with guitar myself but I do love both instruments.

Be sure to check out our Guitar page! Good luck with your training and be sure to keep us posted on your progress.

caylalayman
    Participant

Hi folks,I am Clifford.I used to play guitar up till about 2004.Now i,m 62 yr.old and everybody wants me to start playing again.I only have an ole cheap guitar to play on,but its a start.My goal is to learn perfect pitch,learn to sing much better and enjoy blessing others with my guitar,I also want to learn harmonica with guitar.I have other musical goals,but this is a good start.

@clifford: I’m always really impressed with harmonica players, and especially when they play with another instrument, too. Good luck with picking it back up, and I think ear training is a great place to start.

• This reply was modified 9 years ago by Profile photo of caylalayman caylalayman.
    Profile photo of ashwin
    ashwin
    Participant

Hi Everyone. I am Ashwin. I started with learning guitar some 4 years ago, but excessive travelling interrupted my guitar practice. I started doing ear training using online apps instead. I am a techie so I am planning to make my own apps too now. I have always been I guess more interested in learning more about music & composition than a particular instrument.

Profile photo of bren
    bren
    Participant

Hi everyone , my name is Bren . I play a concertina. I am not good at reading music so I play by ear . I am not bad but want to get better.

caylalayman
    Participant

@ashwin: Very cool. Off topic, but where do you travel? I understand how life can get in the way some times. What are your favorite online apps? Have you tried SingTrue yet?

@bren: Thanks for telling us a little about yourself! Welcome to the forums. I think the concertina is one of the most interesting instruments by far. What led you to choose it over anything else?

Profile photo of ashwin
    ashwin
    Participant

Thanks Cayla. I joined a marketing job. I live in New Delhi, so travelled to cities around New Delhi. I wanted to check out SingTrue but don’t have an iOS device for now. Any plans for releasing an android version too?

Regards,
    Ashwin

Hi @ashwin,

We do hope to bring SingTrue to Android soon. We’re also working on a new project which will help you learn the same skills but without the need for any particular device. Sign up with your email on singtrue.co to keep up to date!

Any plans for releasing an android version too?

Profile photo of rtabriz
    rtabriz
    Participant

Hi, I am ray.I am 67 years old.I started to playing piano fo the last 2 years.I like to learn pitches, interval,and etc to improve my piano playing .

Ray

caylalayman
    Participant

Hi, I am ray.I am 67 years old.I started to playing piano fo the last 2 years.I like to learn pitches, interval,and etc to improve my piano playing .

Ray

Thanks for sharing, @rtabriz! Just goes to show that it’s never too late to start. What are some of your favorite things to play on the piano?

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 378 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share This!