Where Are All The Pianists??

Home Ear Training Forums Chat Where Are All The Pianists??

This topic contains 10 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of quintusvw quintusvw 1 year ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of alexx
    alexx
    Participant

There are tons of threads here about the guitar. No pianists? Or is it playing by ear is more associated with guitar players, & playing from sheet music is more regarded toward piano player? Except for the blues, of course.

Profile photo of quintusvw
    quintusvw
    Participant

My 2 cents: As far as I know most piano players are thought to play sheet music as that is what is taught to them. Although I do know a piano player that can listen to a song and then just play it out of his head.

So yes, they do exist, but I think they are far and few.

Profile photo of alexx
    alexx
    Participant

@quintusvw I guess. My thought too, is that’s why you always hear people say they played piano as a kid but quit after a short time. All the teachers start with classical training.

I was lucky, I hated playing the organ as a kid, but I didn’t learn any classical pieces. Theory, & sight reading yes.

Now as an adult when I started piano lessons, no classical. My teacher is very open to creativity & expanding beyond sheet music. She really encouraged me in the beginning to use chord sheets & just go with it.

quintusvw
    Participant

You are lucky. So you still doing the lessons? How are they?

I’m not too keen on going to a teacher…I guess it is because I have learned to teach myself (10 years home-schooling).

Profile photo of alexx
    alexx
    Participant

@quintusvw I love my lessons. Had one yesterday. I think it helps in the beginning when you are so busy it gives you a structure & something to work on. After that it helps to work on new things that you want to try & learn.

It’s been over 3 1/2 yrs now. I find they actually help me be more creative & get away from sheet music, that’s where I came from. She really encourages me to just let go, use color chords like 7ths in place of other things.

Ear Training is going to help even more. I even do it with her. chords

Profile photo of zeitaliesin
    zeitaliesin
    Participant

Yeah you can learn a lot from a teacher, and get a lot of feedback. I think a lot of rock guitarists pride themselves on being self taught, but most scour then internet for lessons anyway.

quintusvw
    Participant

I guess that is what makes us all unique…as well as colorful. Where a teacher can give you a good structure and motivation to practice each and every day some of us prefer to just follow our own pace and structure…none is beter than the other.

:D

Profile photo of alexx
    alexx
    Participant

@zeitaliesin Ha Ha, you’re probably right about them scouring around internet for stuff.

quintusvw
    Participant

Self taught does not mean the stuff just pops out of your head…I think :).

Look at SRV…listened to a radio and figured it from there.

Profile photo of alexx
    alexx
    Participant

@quintusvw I didn’t know that’s how Stevie Ray Vaughan learned to play. But that’s all ear training. He didn’t know particulars, but he knew how to duplicate what he was hearing & turn it around to create new things.

Ear training is powerful & empowering. Think that’s why we’re all here. Just think, how did people years ago with no access to written music or teachers learn to play? They either picked it up themselves or someone they knew showed them a few things.

quintusvw
    Participant

True, I sometimes try to picture how people in the past dis anything the way we do it. Look at maths. They did not have the colorful multimedia we have, and yet they mastered the material in their rather dull looking books.

Concerning ear training, I feel that it is the origin of music. The other stuff just came along later.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share This!