Instrument Collection and Restoration

Home Ear Training Forums Chat Instrument Collection and Restoration

This topic contains 20 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of quintusvw quintusvw 9 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of quintusvw
    quintusvw
    Participant

Here is my collection of valuables:

Please share your darlings :)

Profile photo of alexx
    alexx
    Participant

My husband hasn’t played since he was a kid, but he has a 1972 Gibson SG Deluxe with a Bigsby. Rosewood Color. Has some EMC speakers that go with it. He took it to the store or a tune up & everyone was going crazy over it.

How do I put a picture in that’s in my photo album? Not sure what I just did will work, we’ll see!

• This reply was modified 9 years ago by Profile photo of alexx alexx.
    Profile photo of alexx
    alexx
    Participant

Ok so that didn’t work. Don’t ask me how the bold type there.

quintusvw
    Participant

That is so nice. The older the instrument the better. Tell your husband not to ever let it go :).

I also once took mine to the store to show around…but had a bit of a different response. Despondent, that would be the best way to describe how the store employees acted. It was because the guitar did not have its original finish. I got it like that, so I decided to just remove all paint, and then the store employees suggested I keep it like that. I coated it with clear-lacquer and now it has an all-wood finish :). Just lovely.

I did receive an Elk 45 tube amp with it, but I use it mostly for display purposes since it is a little old.

I tried to attach two images of the guitar during the restoration process. I hope it displays.

Profile photo of alexx
    alexx
    Participant

He’ll never let that go. I wish he would play it, it has a great sound. I wish I could get the picture to load here.

When we were in Memphis we went to the Gibson Guitar Factory for a factory tour. That was pretty neat. All the stations & steps that each guitar goes through.

quintusvw
    Participant

I would love to visit the factory…but they will have to drag me out of there…’cause I’m not leaving without one of those beauties.

Does your husband not play that guitar?

Profile photo of alexx
    alexx
    Participant

No, not at all. It sits in a case on the floor next to the speakers. I finaly got him to take it for a tune up, thinking that may make him play it. For a while he was looking at some videos online, but basically no. It has a great sound, too.

The stuff they sell is incredible. All kinds hanging everywhere.

quintusvw
    Participant

Does he have any interest or style he would like to play? Perhaps getting him something that tickles his interest would encourage him to play.

Profile photo of alexx
    alexx
    Participant

He seems to gravitate toward the blues. Those were all the videos he was watching. He took lessons as a kid, says he can’t read anymore & doesn’t remember any chords. He can play RH by ear on the piano, so I think if he put in a little effort it would come back. Says he doesn’t have the time. I don’t either, but I find it.

Profile photo of alexx
    alexx
    Participant

I still can’t get the picture to work & I compressed it, too.

Profile photo of alexx
    alexx
    Participant

Ok, I made them even smaller. Hopefully this will work & they’ll be big enough to see.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    quintusvw
    Participant

What a beaut!!! He must shed the wood off that thing! Hehe, I see why you are trying to encourage him.

Profile photo of alexx
    alexx
    Participant

Mmmm. She definitely needs to have a little love showed to her.

Profile photo of caylalayman
    caylalayman
    Participant

Oh, that is a beauty @alexx. I’m not a guitar player myself, but I always enjoy going with my fiance to scope out the music stores and pawn shops. He has some really interesting instruments.

Profile photo of alexx
    alexx
    Participant

@cayla I bet you can find some good deals around. Lots of people get rid of things & they don’t even know what they have.

A friend of my husband found a 1960 Fender Super Amp at an estate sale for $15. Evidently that’s a major score.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share This!