Welcome! Say hi and introduce yourself :)

Home Ear Training Forums Chat Welcome! Say hi and introduce yourself :)

This topic contains 377 replies, has 171 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of tenabrown tenabrown 9 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 378 total)
  • Author

Hi Bossie! You should find a couple of posts in our Singing FAQs which really help you with this. It’s a great starting point for improving your sense of pitch and then relative pitch. Good luck!

Profile photo of 2catherine
    2catherine

my name is J.Powell and and i been taking Bass guitar lesson for about three years and I can not seen to pick up what my instructor are saying when they say I need to play my ear and pattern.

Hey J., welcome!

With bass (and guitar) you normally learn fretboard “patterns” for common scales, and you can then use these as a framework to play things by ear. For example, you can learn the pattern for the major scale, paying particular attention to the 1, 4, 5 and 6 notes – and then use just those four notes to work out basslines by ear in most rock and pop tracks.

Check out our bass ear training guide, and then if you have any more specific questions just ask on the main forum.

my name is J.Powell and and i been taking Bass guitar lesson for about three years and I can not seen to pick up what my instructor are saying when they say I need to play my ear and pattern.

Profile photo of rohan
    rohan
    Participant

My name is Rohan from Japan. For several years I have been creating songs mainly on DAW, and I found transcribing is the key to widen my musical vocabulary.So I began reading scores. But I also found only reading scores takes lots of times and costs, and I feel that is study “about” music, seemingly makes me fluent about theory a bit, but it does not mean absorbing “real” musical experience. What is really needed is the skill of transcribing and playing by ear, I realized that. Then simply I searched and found the best service.

Hi Rohan, and welcome to our Members community! It’s great to have you with us.

Studying scores and abstract theory can certainly be useful – but as you note, it can feel quite removed from “real” music. Ear training is a great way to connect those two worlds. If you haven’t already, I’d encourage you to check out our Playing By Ear and Transcription pages.

I look forward to hearing about your progress!

My name is Rohan from Japan.

Profile photo of wytold
    wytold
    Participant

Hi, my name is Wytold and I play the cello. I’m looking to do overall ear training but I especially want to really focus on my pitch perception, so that I can be in tune almost all the time when I play and sing. Thank you for this great resource!!

Hi Wytold, it’s good to meet you! Thanks for joining our community, and you’re very welcome for the resources – great to hear they’ve been useful :)

For improving your pitch sensitivity please check out this FAQ on pitch ear training. And you’ll find that all relative pitch training (e.g. intervals, chords, etc.) all help refine your sense of pitch too.

Hi, my name is Wytold and I play the cello. I’m looking to do overall ear training but I especially want to really focus on my pitch perception, so that I can be in tune almost all the time when I play and sing. Thank you for this great resource!!

Profile photo of ironbut
    ironbut
    Participant

I’m Steve. Beginning piano.

Welcome, Steve! If you have any questions about your piano ear training, just ask :)

I’m Steve. Beginning piano.

Profile photo of pennock09
    pennock09
    Participant

Hi, I am Chelsea.. :)

I play the violin, classical guitar, and some piano. I have a very hard time with ear training. I am going for a BME, and need to understand ear training up to a level I can one day teach it.
    I get frustrated with just trying to name the intervals, after 15 minuets they all start to blur and sound the same no matter how many techniques I try.
    Giving this a shot, and hoping it helps me.

Welcome, Chelsea! Thanks for sharing a bit about where you’re coming from and what you’re working on.

Getting overwhelmed and facing “ear fatigue” are both common problems with interval ear training, so don’t let that discourage you!

I’d recommend starting with our “How-To” guide for intervals and also keep in mind this information on how long you should spend on each ear training session.

You might find these interval Help and Tips articles useful too.

If you have any specific questions feel free to post them on the Ear Training board and we can get stuck into the details.

Hi, I am Chelsea.. :)

I play the violin, classical guitar, and some piano. I have a very hard time with ear training. I am going for a BME, and need to understand ear training up to a level I can one day teach it.
    I get frustrated with just trying to name the intervals, after 15 minuets they all start to blur and sound the same no matter how many techniques I try.
    Giving this a shot, and hoping it helps me.

Profile photo of winston
    winston
    Participant

I,m Winston I play guitar and bass, I have also just bought a saxophpne. I play with some very good musicians who play by ear and
    I need to improve to keep up with them

Hi Winston,

Welcome! Do you find your existing listening skills transfer well across your instruments?

Be sure to check out our Playing By Ear page and if you have any questions along the way, just ask.

Great to have you with us!

I,m Winston I play guitar and bass, I have also just bought a saxophpne. I play with some very good musicians who play by ear and
    I need to improve to keep up with them

Profile photo of djmickeyd
    djmickeyd
    Participant

Hey guys! My name is Micah (My-kah) :) and I am a singer/songwriter.
    I signed up for ear training so that I can understand the magic behind what I do, and I also want to be able to play the guitar and keyboard by ear like my father (I think its the coolest thing ever) lol.

Profile photo of par4301
    par4301
    Participant

Hi, my name is Parissa and I am from Iran, I play Santour (a Persian musical instrument) and my teacher teaches me Santour just by ear, so I want to improve my ear ;)

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 378 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share This!