Welcome! Say hi and introduce yourself :)

Home Ear Training Forums Chat Welcome! Say hi and introduce yourself :)

This topic contains 377 replies, has 171 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of tenabrown tenabrown 9 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 378 total)
  • Author

Hi @training,

That’s a good goal to have. I’d recommend checking out the solfege approach to relative pitch, which is a good way to learn to sight read music reliably. You will also want to develop your audiation skills.

Welcome to the community!

hi – I would like to be able to read a score an immediately get the pitch in my head or be able to sing it without having to play it on an instrument…

Profile photo of joycec
    joycec
    Participant

Hi I’m Joyce. I took piano lessons as a kid but never had time to play since. My New Year’s resolution this year has been to be able to play piano by fake book. In learning chords, etc, I’ve come to realize one needs a good ear so I’m here. Also, I’ve overworked my left thumb & it needs a break. This should help me further my musical education while giving my hands a rest.

Hi @joycec,

Welcome to the site! Ear training is a great way to fill your time while waiting for that thumb to heal :)

Personally, I found switching from playing piano only from sheet music to learning more about chords and how to improvise arrangements from a fake book was a huge amount of fun, and really freed me up on the piano. If you haven’t already, I would check out our chord progressions resources, which will help you tune your ear into the progressions in your fake book, and extend those skills to playing songs solely by ear.

Good luck and have fun!

Hi I’m Joyce. I took piano lessons as a kid but never had time to play since. My New Year’s resolution this year has been to be able to play piano by fake book. In learning chords, etc, I’ve come to realize one needs a good ear so I’m here. Also, I’ve overworked my left thumb & it needs a break. This should help me further my musical education while giving my hands a rest.

Profile photo of yiannis
    yiannis
    Participant

Hi there!I am Yiannis.I play the trumpet.And i’m deeply interested in picking up info and training on tunes i can catch by using only my ear and not scores.Anykind of idea is welcome.Thank you

Profile photo of pmac
    pmac
    Participant

hello i am pmac, artist poet hip hop music! staring to produce my self by mixing and making master myself.

moving forward in production!

Welcome @yiannis!

Playing by ear on trumpet will rely on good listening skills and doing dedicated ear training will help you gain those skills fast. I’d suggest starting with our “Learn to Play By Ear” series and playing by ear FAQs.

If you have any questions along the way please feel free to ask!

Hi there!I am Yiannis.I play the trumpet.And i’m deeply interested in picking up info and training on tunes i can catch by using only my ear and not scores.Anykind of idea is welcome.Thank you

Hi @pmac,

That sounds fantastic! Be sure to check out our Audio Mixing page for some ideas on ear training that might help you. Welcome to the community! :)

hello i am pmac, artist poet hip hop music! staring to produce my self by mixing and making master myself.

moving forward in production!

Profile photo of deidredruk
    deidredruk
    Participant

Hello,
    Nice to get introduced to some of you on this site! I, too, want to be the best musician that I can be. While I sing in tune, write and arrange my own songs and teach middle school beginning piano, choir and percussion, I have never felt my musical hearing is as good as it could be. I hope to “expand” my hearing! I like that way of thinking of this!
    Thank you!

Profile photo of mickey
    mickey
    Participant

My name is Mick and I play acoustic guitar. Formerly an electric blues player I now focus almost exclusively on old style country blues fingerpickin’, Lightnin Hopkins, Big Bill Broonzy etc. I hope to improve my voice relative to pitch on my guitar to better fit the solo accompaniment style I concentrate on now. I also hope to improve my ability
    at picking off melodies from the old scratchy pre-war blues records. This looks like a fantastic website, tons of moderately priced and free resources for the developing musician. I’m glad I found it!

Profile photo of rakenrol
    rakenrol
    Participant

Hi! I’m Jedid and I play guitar and bass. I really want to improve my skills and broaden my knowledge as a guitarist.

Welcome @deidredruk! It’s wonderful to have another teacher join the community.

With the range of teaching you do, I am sure there is plenty that ear training can help you with. Please dig into our topics page or Ear Expansion course for details…

Great to have you with us!

P.S. You might like to join our teachers program too :)

Hello,
    Nice to get introduced to some of you on this site! I, too, want to be the best musician that I can be. While I sing in tune, write and arrange my own songs and teach middle school beginning piano, choir and percussion, I have never felt my musical hearing is as good as it could be. I hope to “expand” my hearing! I like that way of thinking of this!
    Thank you!

Profile photo of jdodero
    jdodero
    Participant

I am a very new guitarist. I want to learn more music theory and listening skills to help me get better.

Great to meet you, @mickey!

Thanks for introducing yourself, and thank you for the kind words about the site :) I’m glad it’s been useful to you so far.

For transcribing those old blues records I suggest checking out our Learn to Play by Ear series and some of the articles on our Guitar page.

Of course, if you have any questions or need help please just post a new discussion here on the forums and we’ll all be glad to lend a hand!

My name is Mick and I play acoustic guitar. Formerly an electric blues player I now focus almost exclusively on old style country blues fingerpickin’, Lightnin Hopkins, Big Bill Broonzy etc. I hope to improve my voice relative to pitch on my guitar to better fit the solo accompaniment style I concentrate on now. I also hope to improve my ability at picking off melodies from the old scratchy pre-war blues records. This looks like a fantastic website, tons of moderately priced and free resources for the developing musician. I’m glad I found it!

Welcome, @rakenrol! It seems to be guitarist day today… :)

No doubt you’ve noticed how much your finger skills transfer between guitar and bass. You’ll find that the same is true for your ears! There’s lots of listening skills in terms of melody and chords that can be useful for both.

Look forward to hearing how you progress.

Hi! I’m Jedid and I play guitar and bass. I really want to improve my skills and broaden my knowledge as a guitarist.

Hi @jdodero,

Great to have you with us! And kudos on starting ear training early on, that will really help you become a good guitar player fast – rather than just developing speedy fingers and feeling oddly unmusical nevertheless…

For music theory I highly recommend daveconservatoire.org, and you might have fun with HookTheory – particularly for figuring out chord progressions by ear.

If you get stuck or need advice at all please feel free to ask :)

I am a very new guitarist. I want to learn more music theory and listening skills to help me get better.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 378 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share This!