Welcome! Say hi and introduce yourself :)

Home Ear Training Forums Chat Welcome! Say hi and introduce yourself :)

This topic contains 377 replies, has 171 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of tenabrown tenabrown 9 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 378 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of jnomura
    jnomura
    Participant

I’m john. I play guitar. I’m mostly interested in systems to play any melody with chords by ear
    I’ve learned a few but they haven’t really gotten me to where I want to be

Hi @jnomura,

Welcome! Playing chords and melodies by ear on guitar is a lot of fun – but you’re right, there are many “systems” which promise shortcuts and don’t deliver real skills… Here at Easy Ear Training we focus on the fundamentals like developing your sense of relative pitch, and building the practical skills on top of that.

I’d suggest starting by exploring our Chord Progressions page, and the series Learn To Play By Ear. You might also find Brad’s video tutorials helpful.

Good to have you with us!

I’m john. I play guitar. I’m mostly interested in systems to play any melody with chords by ear
    I’ve learned a few but they haven’t really gotten me to where I want to be

Profile photo of bjfivory
    bjfivory
    Participant

My name is Barb. I am a semi-retired piano accompanist. I have mostly done playing for high school choirs and show choirs as well recording instrumental tracks to form an orchestra sound track for school musicals. I’ve been learning to do some chord and improvisation playing and would like to expand my abilities.

Profile photo of joselo
    joselo
    Participant

hi MI name is Jose Andres Muñoz, I study music and produccion. I play The keys, and I need to work in my frequency ear.

Hi @bjfivory,

Good to meet you! Thank you for introducing yourself and sharing a bit about your musical background.

I hope the material on our chord progressions page and under the “improvisation” tag will be helpful to you.

Keep us posted on your progress!

My name is Barb. I am a semi-retired piano accompanist. I have mostly done playing for high school choirs and show choirs as well recording instrumental tracks to form an orchestra sound track for school musicals. I’ve been learning to do some chord and improvisation playing and would like to expand my abilities.

Hi @joselo, and welcome!

Combining ear training for your keys and for your audio work will require some care. There is a lot in common, but sometimes the details are different, and both areas deserve dedicated attention.

For your frequency ear training, I suggest starting with our Frequency Fundamentals series and then exploring other material in the audio topic.

I hope our site and this community will be helpful for your studies. Any questions, please just ask!

hi MI name is Jose Andres Muñoz, I study music and produccion. I play The keys, and I need to work in my frequency ear.

Profile photo of leisingj
    leisingj
    Participant

Hi, I’m Jim. I started playing fiddle nine months ago. I played drums as a kid. My interests are varied from Irish jigs and reels, gypsy/spanish, and blues. Igot here looking for techniques to transcribe music from ear when written music isn’t available.

Hi Jim,

Welcome to the community! I have Irish roots myself and a real love of folk music. Improvising reels and jigs on harmonica is one of the musical activities I enjoy most :)

You may have already found our Transcription page which offers some tips, but it’s worth checking out our Playing By Ear page also, as the skills are closely related. This FAQ might be worth a look too, since the music you want to transcribe can be quite fast and complex at performance speed.

If you have any specific questions as you practice please feel free to post a new discussion – it’s an interesting topic!

Hi, I’m Jim. I started playing fiddle nine months ago. I played drums as a kid. My interests are varied from Irish jigs and reels, gypsy/spanish, and blues. Igot here looking for techniques to transcribe music from ear when written music isn’t available.

Profile photo of guitarrist
    guitarrist
    Participant

My name is Paulo. In the past, i’ve been working on develop a new way to play guitar which I call “nail picking” (check You Tube). Now I’m looking to improve my ears!!! Best wishes.

Hi @guitarrist,

Good to have you with us! “Nail picking” sounds interesting – is that different from finger picking?

I hope our Guitar ear training resources will be useful for you. And if you need any help please feel free to post a new discussion!

My name is Paulo. In the past, i’ve been working on develop a new way to play guitar which I call “nail picking” (check You Tube). Now I’m looking to improve my ears!!! Best wishes.

Profile photo of captainhook
    captainhook
    Participant

Hi
    We produce electronic dance music and release them on different record labels including our own.
    I love learning about music and that’s why I’m here. I’m also looking for singers to add vocals to my music. If your interested check out my soundcloud and message me

Profile photo of guitarrist
    guitarrist
    Participant

Nailpicking is similar to Fingerpicking. The difference is that with Nailpicking I use my nail to play upward and downward, like a flat pick.

Profile photo of agranzin
    agranzin
    Participant

Hi my name is Alex and I’m currently studying blues guitar. I’ve played a bit of piano in the past and also studied African (Ghanian) hand drumming for several years. Hoping to improve my listening skills and my ability to replicate melodies on my instrument.

Hi @captainhook,

Thanks for introducing yourself! You have some great tracks on SoundCloud. Hopefully a few of our singers will get in touch… :)

Hi
    We produce electronic dance music and release them on different record labels including our own.
    I love learning about music and that’s why I’m here. I’m also looking for singers to add vocals to my music. If your interested check out my soundcloud and message me

SoundCloud

Welcome, @agranzin!

I’m sure your knowledge of African rhythms will bring an interesting flair to your blues playing! Check out the Learn to Play By Ear series and this article for help with breaking down the task of playing melodies by ear.

If you need any help along the way just shout!

Hi my name is Alex and I’m currently studying blues guitar. I’ve played a bit of piano in the past and also studied African (Ghanian) hand drumming for several years. Hoping to improve my listening skills and my ability to replicate melodies on my instrument.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 378 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share This!