Welcome! Say hi and introduce yourself :)

Home Ear Training Forums Chat Welcome! Say hi and introduce yourself :)

This topic contains 377 replies, has 171 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of tenabrown tenabrown 9 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 378 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of bren
    bren
    Participant

Hi , I am Bren . I play English concertina . I mostly just follow along by ear to any music that inspires me , sometimes better than others . I would really like to learn more so that other people may want me to join in with them .

Profile photo of alexx
    alexx
    Participant

@bren

I would really like to learn more so that other people may want me to join in with them .

Welcome! Great goal! I would love to be able to play with others. Beside being fun, I think it really helps your craft, too.

Profile photo of jotheharper
    jotheharper
    Participant

Hi,
    My name is Jo. I am a 70 yr old who took up playing the harp 4 years ago. I have played the piano for years, but always paper trained–I have never attempted to play by ear. I am very anxious to learn how to just play without the rigid confines of sheet music. This is a very exciting new experience for me and I hope you really can teach an old dog new tricks. I am ready to devote myself to anything you can suggest to help me achieve my goal of playing by ear.

Profile photo of alexx
    alexx
    Participant

@jotheharper Welcome Jo! I’m here trying to do the same as you. I started to play piano 3 1/2 yrs. ago, after starting with organ as a kid for 4 yrs. All via written sheet music. Now I’m trying to learn songs by ear. It’s definitely a process, but it’s learnable & doable.

Profile photo of caylalayman
    caylalayman
    Participant

@jotheharper: I love listening to and watching people play the harp. It’s a beautiful instrument. I am/was paper trained to play the piano, too, as my mind works best that way. However, ear training has opened up a new world. Welcome, and let us know if you have any questions!

Profile photo of lena-lady
    lena-lady
    Participant

Hi, everyone, my name is Lena-lady, I play bass guitar for our Gospel Group, I really need to learn to play by ear. Some tell me I could do this, but I guess I just don’t have enough confidence yet,with this course I am hoping to reach that goal. Any and all help getting to this goal is appreciated. Go to be a part of this group and know help is here.

Profile photo of michaeljgoodspeed
    michaeljgoodspeed
    Participant

I’m Mike, I play guitar and want to develop a great ear so I can play what’s in my head, quickly analyse pieces as well as play what I hear. This sounds promising. Thanks

Profile photo of michaeljgoodspeed
    michaeljgoodspeed
    Participant

Mike – I posted in the comments section. I’m learning guitar and want to develop an ear such that I can play what I hear, as well as rapidly analyze a piece and better understand how the entire composition hangs together.

Profile photo of alexx
    alexx
    Participant

@lena-lady Welcome! It’s great that you play in a group, I think it’s great to be able to play with others. I think it helps to make you better. I’m slowing learning to play by ear. It’s definitely possible! :D

Profile photo of alexx
    alexx
    Participant

@michaeljgoodspeed Welcome! I think it’s great that you’re learning to play guitar, & trying to fiure out all the parts by ear. I play piano & trying to play things I ear by ear, also. Lots of stuff here to help out.

Profile photo of marlena
    marlena
    Participant

I am marlena and I have been trying to play the piano for years, but I seem to lack any talent to do so. I am absolutely not able to play without sheet music. Still I like trying! Perhaps this course will help me to.

Profile photo of zeitaliesin
    zeitaliesin
    Participant

@marlena I wouldn’t give up on yourself so quickly, it’s a matter of releasing change in the mind. It’s really a letting go and well, a lot of work

Profile photo of alexx
    alexx
    Participant

@marlena Hi! Don’t sell yourself short! If you can play with sheet music, you can play! You just can’t play by ear…the rest of us here are all working on the same thing at different levels.

If you say you can’t, you can’t. If you say you can, you can. Just because you can’t play by ear doesn’t mean you’re not talented. That’s just not a well developed talent for you. I play piano, use sheet music, & am just now trying to get & improve the ear training skills I’ve been working on.

Lots of people find sheet music a daunting task. Hang in there!

Profile photo of caylalayman
    caylalayman
    Participant

@marlena, there’s no better place to start than training your ear if you feel you’re having issues! Here are a few articles about playing piano or keyboard and where to start. There’s lots of great knowledge here as well as lots of great people! Welcome, and let us know if you have questions.

Profile photo of fretzz15
    fretzz15
    Participant

Hey everybody ^_^

I am Freddy and i play electric guitar, mainly metal and rock but enjoy always listening and playing other types of music aside from that heavy stuff. Have been always writing my own music thanks to inner voice and stuff that i hear inside my head alongside with improvising but don’t think that this is something to limit myself and definitely there is a lot to learn and understand.

There are a lot of amazingly talented musicians out there who compose amazing music but don’t understand music theory at all, but have the feeling to do it.

Being honest, then everything is already there in terms of music. We already take that what has been created and start experimenting with it, putting pieces together the way we do like it and what we always do is resolving problems when we compose music. I think that what music is aside from learning and expressing ourselves.

Share your thoughts about it and cheers fellow members. :) Always glad to hear your opinions, philosophy and direction :)

Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 378 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share This!