Welcome! Say hi and introduce yourself :)

Home Ear Training Forums Chat Welcome! Say hi and introduce yourself :)

This topic contains 377 replies, has 171 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of tenabrown tenabrown 9 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 378 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of zeitaliesin
    zeitaliesin
    Participant

@fretzz15 if you’re talking purely as an intellectual pursuit sure it could be looked at that way ala writing in the classical or baroque, but many forms of music come from a more emotional state and base themselves on very primitive terms. It is a combination of the two, being emotion and intellect, but when one is drunk with music I think it’s time to throw away all the theory and just go for it, especially with soloing. Melody is a gift. No matter how much one tries the less they succeed. One could write a mediocre piece by just following rules, but there must be instinct.

Profile photo of fretzz15
    fretzz15
    Participant

That’s a good thing that you brought out theory side…I wrote whole set list years ago and always was drunk and did it by the feeling…Yeah, it’s not a good way to do it only by rules and mechanically. There is no right or wrong way :) But the more tools you have under your hand the more options you will have… I think that the ultimate goal here is to be free from anything that limits us.

As long as you think or guess, that means you have not fully mastered it on what you are working.

Same time if you have determined a very concrete style of music for yourself, then of course you will have to stick within the frames if you are very specific what you want to express emotionally. :)

Profile photo of fretzz15
    fretzz15
    Participant

That’s a good thing that you brought out theory side…I wrote whole set list years ago and always was drunk and did it by the feeling…Yeah, it’s not a good way to do it only by rules and mechanically. There is no right or wrong way :) But the more tools you have under your hand the more options you will have… I think that the ultimate goal here is to be free from anything that limits us.

As long as you think or guess, that means you have not fully mastered it on what you are working.

Same time if you have determined a very concrete style of music for yourself, then of course you will have to stick within the frames if you are very specific what you want to express emotionally. :)

But like i said, i just put up my opinion how i see things and it’s good if somebody corrects me.

Cheers ^_^

Profile photo of jallen
    jallen
    Participant

Hi my name is jan and I would like to sing better in tune.

Profile photo of celiazoyland
    celiazoyland
    Participant

Hi, I’m Celia. I play piano, piano accordion, flute and am learning to sing. I love most types of music from early choral pieces through to jazz, blues, folk and rock. I can read music but I can’t play without the black dots on the page. I want to understand more about what I am hearing or playing and I would love to be able to play by ear. Also, I have set myself the challenge this year of learning ukelle so I would also like to know more about chord progressions and rhythm. Hope ear training might help me keep on course with this!

zeitaliesin
    Participant

@jallen I tell you the Singtrue app is phenomenal for getting your singing in tune!

zeitaliesin
    Participant

@celiazoyland well you are at the right place for the journey of a lifetime!

Profile photo of caylalayman
    caylalayman
    Participant

@fretzz15: Welcome! I admire your ability to write music as I’ve never had a natural ability for that! I agree that theory can be difficult, but once you set a learning plan and goals for yourself, it gets at least the slightest bit easier! Let us know if you have any other questions, and we look forward to seeing you around.

@jallen: Welcome to the forums! Learning to stay in tune can be quite the task. Have you tried our SingTrue app? It’s available in the app store. Here is a great Q&A section regarding singing as well. Let us know how we can help!

@celiazoyland: Welcome! You seem to be a jack of many trades. The accordion has always been a pretty fascinating instrument for me, and I enjoy the tone. You’re definitely in the right place to learn. The “Learn” and “Help” sections at the top are a wealth of knowledge! Let us know if we can help you! Happy 2015!

Profile photo of rdrussell
    rdrussell
    Participant

Hi Christopher and all
    I’m Robert and play intermediate advanced piano. I started young and am now 65 and retired. I just bought a Yamaha piano and am returning to building a repertoire of Beethoven sonatas, Debussy preludes etc. My current project is a piece by Stephen Hough, a Brit. I also have taken jazz piano and can play some blues and jazz numbers. Last year I took up ukulele and mandolin with the idea of having more fun with music – singing and hearing popular progressions. I like old time and bluegrass music. My relative pitch is getting better. I joined the forum since the iPhone apps I have been working with are so great. I’m deep into hearing and identifying inversions of 3 note chords and interval training. I hope to fill in gaps in my training and perhaps come across some helpful hints in all this material.

Profile photo of vinnieivan
    vinnieivan
    Participant

Hello! I’m Ivan from the Dominican Republic. I play drums. I need and would like to train my ears so I can blend betters with the others musicians. I think ear training and music notation are a solid foundation for my musical journey ;)

Profile photo of jazzyme
    jazzyme
    Participant

Hello my name is Fideliya and I’m a semi-professional singer. I’ve spent years studying music but mainly as a vocalist. I can’t play an instrument, but I’m learning now to play the piano and violin and guitar. Trying to stick to one at a time but Im keen to learn them all lol. I would say that the piano is my strongest instrument at the moment although still basic. I would love to learn to play what I hear (especially what’s in my head) much more fluently. I hear melodies in my head all the time and I record them, I’m just a little slower transferring them to an instrument. I’m a jazzer at heart, followed by Blues and Soul but I’m also known to be versatile. I’m really looking forward to progressing in this course. Roll on! :) x

Profile photo of baerlein
    baerlein
    Participant

Hello I´m Philippe,

I want to improve my musical memory and my sense of rythm.

Profile photo of bodjo2
    bodjo2
    Participant

I am Bodil and is an advanced amateur viola player. Play in a chamber orchestra i Sweden – half amateurs/half prof.

I also play Swedish folk music on violin and nyckelharpa – Swedish folkinstrument.
    Especially in this music style I want to improve my ability to improvise and to make additional 2nd melodies to the leading melody as wells as picking up old folk tunes by ear.

Profile photo of premusic
    premusic

Hi

I am prem from India.I am a film composer and music teacher.I bought your books very useful .

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of anicho27
    anicho27
    Participant

Hi,
    I’m Andrew and I’ve played guitar for too long not to be better than I am! I really want to improve my ability to play by ear and just improve my musical ear skills generally, that’s why I joined. Hope this package can help, I’ll certainly put in the work.
    BTW can Chris or someone tell me where to find mp3’s of all the intervals? So far I’ve only found those for semitones, tones, 3rds, 4ths and 5ths
    Cheers

Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 378 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share This!